Sunday, August 24, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes

Ella has had a couple of quotes in the past few weeks that I always wanted to remember, so I thought this would be a good medium to use. She is talking up a storm - moving so fast from basic sentences to conversations! Some of the best are below:

"Where did all the cars go?"
She is a true city girl, as a few times lately as we visited family in Wisconsin she thinks something must be wrong when we turn on to a road with no other cars visible. It is hilarious to think how different her city perspective is from what I grew up with in small town Wisconsin! The alarm seems to be decreasing, since today as we drove in WI she only commented when we did start seeing cars again, "Look, Mom! There's two cars!"

"My diaper's bugging me"
She is starting to have words for almost everything she is doing or wants to do. A few family members laughed today at the site of Ella hiking up her pretty party dress, with her hands between her legs tugging at her diaper and the diaper cover. Lately if every ruffle on the diaper isn't in the perfect spot we have a wiggly bottomed girl as she makes the adjustments. I've tried to convince her that being potty-trained will solve that issue but haven't had much progress. This is due to the fact she can only pee on the toilet because "the poops don't come out on the toilet," according to Ella.

"Daddy wears big girl underwear, too!"
Toilet training has led to lots of interesting conversations. With her ultimate goal being to wear "big girl underwear," she is excited whenever she suspects someone may be wearing them already. So her commentary led us down the path of explaining big boys and big girls all wear underwear. There was some similar discussion about male anatomy and toilet functionality, but to keep my G rating you will have to wait and ask me in person.

"I don't have a button."
Ella sadly declared her button-free state at my cousin's baby shower. Susan, another cousin, has a large circular birthmark on her arm and Ella was pretty jealous of it.


"Can I go to your Ammee?"
I traveled a few weeks ago for work, and as I was explaining that I was riding in a plane to Miami Ella asked if she could go to "your Ammee." I was falling over laughing as I tried to change the pronunciation so she wouldn't be so confused but I know she continued to tell people Mommy took an airplane to her Ammee. She didn't feel too bad, since she found out Daddy didn't have an Ammee either.




But we had a great weekend with lots of fun with Ella's little cousins at a water park resort in WI. Ella even went down the big slide on a tube - so I am glad she is pretty adventurous. Check out the pictures below:





P.S. Happy Birthday this week to Ella's Grandma Joyce and Golden Gram!

No comments: