Before bedtime tonight I asked Ella if she knew what makes me happy. She smiled and said, "Yes! It makes you happy when I listen and when I hurry in the morning." I asked what else, and she said, "When I try new things!" I told her she forgot that I love cuddles so she added hugs and kisses to the list as she climbed into bed. It was definitely one of the times I wanted to eat her right up for being ridiculously adorable.
The trying new things, mostly foods, has been big in our house as of late. Since I often am eating alone with her, it is nice to be able to take her to someplace I want to go instead of a typical kid-friendly place. So last month it was sushi, tonight it was seafood. As she watched me eat a crab leg, she asked what it was and if she could try some. I pulled out some meat and she kept pleading for more. After a few bites she asked if it hurt the crab when when we eat its leg.
Note: If I was forced to hunt for my own food I would no doubt be a vegetarian due to squeamishness. But delights like a NY strip or bacon or crab keep me solidly planted in my omnivorous ways. But I have been dreading the moment where she connects eating chicken nuggets to chickens that run around farms and it was upon me.
So my level-headed response was that the crab wasn't alive anymore when we eat it. I hoped that would be it, but her little mind was a-rolling at that point. Her next question was on which other animals we eat. I swallowed hard (not just because I had multiple species represented on my plate at that second) and started listing: pigs, cows, chickens, fish. She interrupted to say she loves to eat fish. I hoped that would be the end. But it wasn't.
Her next question was if we eat any furry animals, like kittens? I said no, not kittens or dogs, but maybe other furry animals. She said, "Like bunnies?" And I said some people eat rabbits. She pauses for about three seconds to take it in, then says, "I want to try bunnies someday." I said "OK, finish eating your chicken and we can get ice cream." I'll let her dad handle that one with her.
As I posted a shortened version of this on Facebook tonight, a friend commented that she was waiting for Ella to have her own Travel channel show. My money had been on meteorology lately due to Ella's obsession with the morning weather forecast and repeating it throughout the day, but maybe TV is in her future in other ways!
Anyway, I am thankful for a little girl who is ready to take a bite out of anything put in front of her - literally or figuratively.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment